Monday 17 May 2010

Eclipse workspace mechanic

Why do I need this


Eclipse has a lot of preferences, there are SVN, code format, java runtime locations, maven settings, and on and on. Having to rekey all these things when creating a new workspace is time consuming and a pain. This is one reason I have something like 150 projects in my current workspace! I hoped Workspace Mechanic would help.

Install


I can now start a new Eclipse project and import default configuration with the Workspace Mechanic from google, its Eclipse Public License, and is currently at 0.0.2, so perhaps improvements to come.

I've installed this in Eclipse 3.5, I get a tick in the bottom right corner as I have not setup 'rules' yet.

First impressions


OK, so its rule based, and each rule has to be entered by hand into a config file, for example with Preferences, you'd have to use something like: /instance/org.eclipse.ui.ide/REFRESH_WORKSPACE_ON_STARTUP=false

Well, OK, the structure is there, but TBH Ive got more pressing things to do with my time than chop preferences out of eclipse workspace config files.

Closing thoughts


Hopefully future improvements will add some kind of auto-export or even 'mirror' dumping of entire configurations, which would be a winner, as really I do just want an entire copy of what I currently have, minus all the projects.

Update site


Update site is here

1 comment:

konberg said...

Hi, I'm the owner of the Workspace Mechanic project. Have you looked at the Preference Recorder? It could help you with an initial set-up.

Alternatively you might be able to accomplish some of what you're trying to do by doing a File > Export > Preferences, and then add preference task metadata inside it.

If you have further questions or comments, head over to the workspace mechanic mailing list.